Featured

Change in general meeting time

Going forward, our weekly general meetings will continue to take place Tuesdays at 4 p.m. UTC. If you just went through Daylight Saving then your meeting time will move back an hour.

For example, if you’re located in Eastern Time in the United States, your meeting time went from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. You can useWorld Time Buddy to confirm your local time.

See you Tuesdays at 4 p.m. UTC!

Featured

Researching Governance Models: A Call to Action

The core purpose of the WordPress Governance Project is to illuminate existing and ad hoc governance models within the WordPress Open Source project and provide input on how to create an official governance platform for the project. A crucial component of this work is discovering and evaluating existing governance models both within the Open Source Software space and in other comparable organizations and communities. For this we need all hands on deck.

To start the work, we have created a list of relevant governance models in need of research. To get the work done, we ask contributors to claim a model (by adding their name to the sheet in the correct column) and perform some preliminary research using a form.

Current list

  • AMP Project
  • Apache
  • Cloud Foundry
  • Debian
  • Drupal
  • Eclipse
  • Fedora
  • FreeBSD
  • IETF RFC2418
  • Joomla
  • Moodle
  • Mozilla Foundation
  • Node.js
  • OpenStack
  • QGIS
  • Python Foundation
  • Ubuntu
  • VVVS (Varying Vagrant Vagrants)
  • WP-CLI

If you are familiar with the governance models of any of these groups, or you want to learn more about them, or you know of a relevant governance model worth adding to the list, add your info to the spreadsheet and capture your research in the form.

Our goal is to have every governance model claimed by Tuesday March 12 and the forms filled out for each model by Tuesday March 19.

General meeting minutes: 03/19/2019

The following are minutes from the general project meeting on Tuesday, March 19, 2019.

All documents for The WordPress Governance Project can be accessed on the project’s Google Drive.

Props: Pat Lockley and Rachel Cherry

Agenda

  1. Minutes from last meeting
  2. Meeting facilitator and secretary
  3. Project communication
  4. Open floor

Minutes

  • Rachel Cherry started the meeting. Pat Lockley took minutes.
  • Discussed the need to recruit people for the governance models research
    • Discussed road blocks, raised the issue of communicating calls to action
  • Remkus de Vries commented that most of us are on Twitter and so a Twitter account would help
    • Discussed who would run the account. Remkus and Cathi Bosco volunteered.
  • Rachel suggested @wpgovernance for the Twitter handle – account created
  • Discussed content to tweet
  • Brief discussion over best WP to Twitter tool
  • We liked one of Cathi’s logos and one was added to the Twitter page
  • Some work was needed to aggregate replies to the governance tweet for the new Twitter account
    • Rachel asked for Twitter volunteers, Pat and Remkus volunteered

Action items

  • Setup TeamDrive
  • Setup Trello
  • Set up automated tweets from bank of tweets
    • Share the word about getting involved and what we’re working on
  • Setup automated tweets when blog posts are published
  • Set up automated tweets for meeting reminders
  • Remkus is gonna help find our “what governance means” messages
  • Cathi is gonna tidy up our logo and create a Twitter header image
  • Push the recruitment for research help
  • Everyone sign up for at least one of the research items and do the research

General meeting minutes: 03/05/2019

The following are minutes from the general project meeting on Tuesday, March 05, 2019.

All documents for The WordPress Governance Project can be accessed on the project’s Google Drive.

Props: Pat Lockley and Morten Rand-Hendriksen

Agenda

  1. Minutes from last meeting
  2. Meeting facilitator and secretary
  3. Personas document
  4. Form for researching governance models
  5. Recruitment to do research (who takes what model, etc)
  6. 5.0 release retrospective
  7. Open floor

Minutes

  • Review of Identifying the Stakeholders of WordPress document rollout.
    • The document has been picked up by some WordPress people and Post Status sparking discussion.
    • The group discussed adding further personas to the document. Hosting Companies and Publishers were among the suggested items. Discussion continues #group-communication.
  • Pat Lockley has finalized the research form for investigating governance models. This form will be used to gather consistent data about relevant governance models.
  • Review of the Relevant Governance Models spreadsheet
    • The above mentioned form should be used to gather data about each of the models featured in this sheet.
    • Some discussion of how best to do the work, and avoid burn out and so on. Proposal: Each team member takes on one (1) model.
    • Further recruitment is necessary to complete this work.
    • A blog post will be written for recruitment purposes.
    • Non-software models are welcome to be added to the sheet
    • Justin M suggested doing video interviews with people who work on governance projects. Morten suggested this as part of phase 2.
    • A timeline was proposed:
      • Get all models in spreadsheet claimed by next Tuesday (March 12)
      • Finish filling out the form for each model by the following Tuesday (March 19)
      • Discussion about marking models for “need more time” and “not sufficient info”
      • Discussion of post-research triage for further deep-dives.
  • Morten suggested everyone take part in the WordPress 5.0 Release Retrospective.
  • Pat L suggested a twitter account
  • Alex S suggested capping meeting agenda items to allow time for discussion. Morten agreed to limiting, if it was possible
  • Raffaella and Morten discussed the purpose and goal of the communication document, agreed it was
  • Morten said that it was a backbone and research would help to create content for it
  • Morten closed the meeting

Action items

  • Justin M to create publishers personas.
  • Everyone share Identifying the Stakeholders of WordPress document and ask for feedback.
  • Everyone claim a research model by next week (March 12) and fill out the form by the week thereafter (March 19).
  • Morten to write blog post as outreach to the wider WordPress and Open Source community to get input, reviewers, and other interested parties involved in governance model research.
  • Morten to look into getting a twitter account. Name suggestions welcome.

General meeting minutes: 2/19/2019

The following are minutes from the general project meeting on Tuesday, February 19, 2019.

All documents for The WordPress Governance Project can be accessed on the project’s Google Drive.

Props: Rachel Cherry and Pat Lockley

Agenda

Minutes

Action Items

Questions about existing WordPress governance

In order to define what governance can look like for WordPress, we must first understand its existing structure.

The WordPress Governance Project is researching existing WordPress governance and asking a lot of questions.

For example:

  • How are project decisions made?
  • Who do the WordPress teams report to?
  • Who decides what users have core commit access and how?
  • What process is used to determine whether and when a version of core is ready for release?

We want to know what questions you have.

What areas of existing WordPress governance would you like to know more about? What parts confuse you? Are there any parts that are unclear?

Leave your questions in the comments.

General meeting minutes: 2/12/2019

The following are minutes from the general project meeting on Tuesday, February 12, 2019. Apologies for the late posting.

All documents for The WordPress Governance Project can be accessed on the project’s Google Drive.

Props: Rachel Cherry and Pat Lockley

General meeting minutes: 2/5/2019

The following are minutes from the general project meeting on Tuesday, February 5, 2019. Apologies for the late posting.

All documents for The WordPress Governance Project can be accessed on the project’s Google Drive.

Props: Rachel Cherry and Pat Lockley

  • #group-presentation was renamed to #group-communication. Discussed the broadness of the new term and whether this was positive or negative.
  • Discussed how to highlight action items
  • Discussed task management software
    • Rachel to look into preferences/options
  • Discussion of group activity in channels and progress
  • Discussion over how to raise items for meeting agendas.
    • Suggestion of comments on previous minutes with a cut off date
  • Discussion over of tasks and recording community member’s skills
  • Rachel asked about adding groups to Mailchimp so people can opt into a group’s email.

Action items

  • Add group-communication name discussion to next week’s agenda
  • Rachel to look into task management options

General meeting minutes: 1/29/2019

The following are minutes from the general project meeting on Tuesday, January 29, 2019.

All documents for The WordPress Governance Project can be accessed on the project’s Google Drive.

Props: Morten Rand-Hendriksen and Cathi Bosco.

Agenda

  1. Minutes from the last meeting etc…
  2. Appointing meeting leader & secretary for this meeting
  3. Team reps for different sub-groups
  4. Reports from sub-groups by team reps
  5. Agenda items for next meeting
  6. Open floor

Minutes

  • The minutes from last week’s meeting (January 22nd) has been posted on the site. Please submit any amendments to the minutes in the comments.
  • Morten Rand-Hendriksen volunteers to run the meeting and Cathi Bosco volunteers to take notes for this meeting today.
  • At the last meeting each sub group was mandated with picking team leads, secretaries, and a regular meeting time to be reported in the General meeting today. When asked if any representatives from the different sub-groups present today who can share the results from their group so far: Yes, for Internal-Gov: And roles: Facilitators: @Morten Rand-Hendriksen, @Cathi Bosco, @Joe Hills, @robin.scott Secretary: @Rian Kinney, Esq., @AlexSirota
  • Sé Reed repots #wp-research-gov was very quiet and is still getting everyone’s attention to get a meeting together.
  • Rian Kinney volunteers to be Secretary for next General meeting,
  • Considering the short notice, lack of meeting announcement, etc Morten Rand-Hendriksen proposed we extend the task of appointing reps and picking meeting times etc by a week to be reported in the General meeting one week from now (Tuesday February 5th). Morten Rand-Hendriksen also proposed we move 4. Reports from sub-groups by team reps to next meeting
  • Morten Rand-Hendriksen moves attention to “Agenda items for next week.” Sé Reed suggests timeline and milestones and the low representation in #group-presentation moves the conversation to the Open Floor to discuss lack of activity, communication, task definitions, and recruitment
  • Raffaella Isidori will connect people in the presentation group and is leading the effort of getting the structure’s draft ready for the next meeting.
  • There are people wanting to take part but unsure where to put their efforts. Morten Rand-Hendriksen proposed that someone (can be an individual or a group of people) from each group put together a goals and tasks document for consideration. Example:
    • Goal: Document the existing governance structures in official Make groups
    • Tasks:
      • Make list of make groups
      • Find contact person for each group
      • Research official (posted) governance / leadership documentation for each group
  • Creating action items like this makes it easier for people to jump in.
  • And set up some Drive docs / sheets / forms for participants to fill in so the data is collected in a central repository Note: The Drive folder should be open and to move things forward anyone can propose a goals and actions list, and then people can chime in. It’ll be a good way to get engagement, and then the facilitator conversation can be bolted onto that conversation.
  • Volunteers are needed to take on the task of approaching each sub-group about getting this done over the next 7 days
  • Sé Reed volunteers to do so for #research-wp-gov.
  • Morten Rand-Hendriksen volunteers to do so for #group-internal-gov.
  • James Nylen recommends it would be helpful to put more informative channel topics/purposes in the individual channels and Morten will follow through.
  • Pat Lockley recommends it might be handy if someone with @ channel privileges could send a message to each channel re group roles and so on and Morten will follow through.
  • Jeffrey Paul recommends @ channel for kicking off meetings too as it helps to get that notification reminder. Morten also points to the calendar: Once meeting times are agreed upon for sub-groups, they’ll go in the joint calendar.
  • Joe Hills asks if we have done a general call for feedback from the WordPress community? If we have a form for that, to float it through his local meetup group, because even if folks don’t have the time or energy to participate in something like this in general, it might be nice to know what their concerns are. We may have done something like that, but it’s now closed, is the feedback somewhere we can read and parse them.

Action Items

  • Each working group to elect facilitators and secretaries.
  • Representatives from each group to create group goals and action items + associated documents to get work started.

Next General meeting

Tuesday February 5th. Refer to the joint calendar for all meeting schedules.